Wednesday 25 July 2012

The Return of the Native

... and here's another post about jewelry! I must confess I'm a bit obsessed with jewelry at the best of times. My love of adornment began at a very young age, like most girls I imagine, and was greatly catalyzed by my beautiful and brilliant Grandmother, Onnie Millar, who made her own jewelry. My Grandmother favored large and colorful jewelry often made from wood, ceramic, shells and glass; she loved natural and organic objects. She fashioned beautiful sculptures of people from stone and made pendants of painted portraits on sea shells and wood. Her preference for the natural always reminded me of the spirit of Native art;  where found objects were turned into figurative and literal representations of man, nature and the earth.

There is a definite trend of Native inspired jewelry proposed by many designers for Fall 2012... and I love it.
Am I convinced of the practicality of some of these pieces? No, but that doesn't matter. The point of fashion is to express artistic visions and what is practical for some may not be for others. I enjoy these European adaptations of Native adornment - I would love to see someone wear one of these pieces with a tank top or poking from beneath a suit!

Akong, Fall 2012



Dannijo, Fall 2012

Aurelie Biderman, Fall 2012




Akong, Fall 2012

Pamela Love, Fall 2012


Pamela Love, Fall 2012


Lulu Frost Fall 2012






photos from style.com


No comments:

Post a Comment